Work Study Program

Bunker Hill Community College participates in the Federal College Work-Study Program. Eligible students may receive funds from this program as a result of the financial aid application process. Federal program regulations require that a percentage of these funds be earmarked to community service-related work. Check with the Financial Aid Office for a listing of available Work-Study positions.

Please read the Federal Work Study Student’s Handbook 2016-2017.

Qualifying for Federal Work Study (FWS)

Federal Work Study is a need-based federal program that is part of your financial aid package. You must complete a FAFSA (Free Application for Financial Aid) Form to be eligible for Work Study. The program provides students with part time on/off campus employment. Funds for this program are awarded to eligible students as part of financial aid process.

On/Off Campus Work Study and the Pay Rate

With a Work Study job, you can work part-time on or off campus.  Available work study jobs will be available online at CareerConnect and posted outside of Room B213. Jobs are updated regularly. Hourly pay rate for on-campus and off-campus work study positions pay $10.00 per hour.  Students returning for a second year in the same position may earn $12.00 per hour at the Supervisor’s discretion. It is your responsibility for your own job search either on-campus or off-campus. You should contact the Supervisor listed in the job posting to set up an interview. Based on hours worked, students are paid bi-weekly during the academic year. You are allowed to work up to a maximum of 18.5 hours per week.

FWS Employment Authorization Form

All students must have a completed W-4, I-9 and Employment Authorization Form on file with the Financial Aid Office, Room B213, before they can start working either on-campus or off-campus. You must provide original documentation that proves you are eligible to work in the United States.  

Examples of acceptable documents are:

  1. Your unexpired U.S. Passport or Alien Registration Card
  2. Driver's License and Social Security Card
  3. Bunker Hill Community College ID and Social Security Card
  4. Driver's License and U.S. Birth Certificate
  5. Bunker Hill Community College ID and U.S. Birth Certificate

Upon completion of the W-4 and I-9 and providing an acceptable documents to Financial Aid Office (B213), you will be given an Employment Authorization Form.

Download the W-4 Form
Download the I-9 Form

Complete Hiring Process

You and your supervisor must sign the Employment Authorization Form and you must bring the completed form to the Financial Aid Office, Room B213.

Once completed and signed Work Authorization Form has been returned to the Financial Aid Office, only then you can begin your work study job either on/off campus work.

Direct Deposit

If you are hired and would like to to have your paycheck directly deposited to a bank account, please complete the Payroll Authorization For Direct Deposit Into Employee’s Account/Accounts form and bring it to the BHCC Payroll Office.

Frequently Asked Questions about the Work Study Program


I am interested in getting a Federal Work Study (FWS) job. What do I do?

Am I guaranteed a job through Federal Work Study?

Where do I look for jobs? When is the best time to look?

How much will I get paid?

What are my responsibilities as a FWS student employee?

How do I report my hours?

How long does it take to get my first paycheck?

Once I’m added to BHCC’s payroll, when do I get paid?

My FWS award is for $2,000. What does that mean for me and my supervisor?

How can I find out how much money I have left in my FWS award budget?

I am running out of money in my FWS award, but I love my job and would like to continue working. My department doesn’t have the funding to hire me part-time. Can I request an increase in my award?