|Course Title||Course Number||Semester Taken||Credits||Prerequisites|
|GENERAL EDUCATION COURSES|
|College Writing I||ENG111||3||ENG095 and ESL098 or RDG095 or placement|
|College Writing II||ENG112||3||ENG111|
|Individual/Society||From Area 2||3|
|World View||From Area 3||3|
|Precalculus||MAT197 satisfies Area 4 requirement||4||MAT194|
|Science and Technology||Area 5 satisfied by program||ENG095 and ESL098 or RDG095 and MAT194 or placement; see note*|
|Humanities||From Area 6||3|
|General Biology I/Lab||BIO195||4||ENG095 and RDG095 and MAT194 or placement|
|General Biology II/Lab||BIO196||4||BIO195; see note*|
|Introduction to Biotechnology/Lab||BIO120||4||ENG095 and MAT099 and ESL098 or RDG095 or placement; see note*|
|General Chemistry I/Lab||CHM201||4||MAT197 and ENG111; see note*|
|General Chemistry II/Lab||CHM202||4||CHM201; see note*|
|Cell Biology/Lab||BIO207||4||BIO120 and BIO195 or BIO195 and BIO196 or Chair approval; see note*|
|Genetics and Lab||BIO208||4||BIO196 or Department approval; see note*|
|Advanced Laboratory Techniques in Biotechnology||BIO261||3||BIO120 and BIO195 and BIO196 or Chair approval; see note*|
|Principles of Molecular Biotechnology||BIO262||3||BIO207 and BIO208 and BIO261; see note*|
|Biotechnology Laboratory Simulations||BIO270||4||BIO207, BIO208, BIO261 AND BIO262 or Chair approval; see note*|
|OPTION ELECTIVES (Choose 1)|
|Microbiology/Lab||BIO205||4||BIO195 or BIO203; see note*|
|Principles of Organic Biochemistry/Lab||CHM121||4||CHM120; see note*|
|Calculus I||MAT281||4||MAT196 or MAT197|
|Interpretation and Presentation of Scientific Research||SCI221||3||Complete Two: BIO195 or above, CHM201 or above, PHY201 or above, and/or ENR101 or above or Chair approval|
*Note: All science, engineering, and math courses that are pre or co-requisites of other science and engineering courses require a grade of C+ or better.
This program offers two degree options: Biology Transfer and Biotechnology. Each option prepares students for employment and for transfer to four-year colleges and universities. Each option engages students in industry-level, inquiry based laboratory activities in order to develop and strengthen their critical thinking as well as their industry skills.
This option covers the concepts, methodology and techniques of biochemistry, cell biology, genetics, cell culture, molecular biology, immunology, bioinformatics and microbiology. The option provides students with a rigorous academic background as well as industry-specific laboratory skills including sophisticated laboratory procedures, experimental design, data interpretation, and equipment maintenance. The program also reinforces general industry-specific skills such as communication, organization and teamwork. Graduates of this program may transfer to four-year colleges and universities to continue their studies in biotechnology or other life sciences.
Students completing this option qualify for entry level positions in a wide range of biotechnology disciplines in industry, police, government and academic labs. These positions require a biotechnology certificate, AS degree or BS degree with 0-2 years of experience. Such positions offer the possibility of merit bonus and promotion and are available locally as well as nationwide.
Upon Completion of this Concentration Graduates will be able to:
- Use currently accepted biological, chemical, and physical concepts to investigate problems and ideas presented in advanced biological study.
- Use biological concepts to evaluate their own science related concerns such as personal health or careers.
- Use laboratory technology, equipment and techniques to investigate scientific problems critically and safely using proper scientific methods.
- Use molecular and cellular laboratory techniques that are commonly used in Biotechnology.
- Explain the major concepts of cell structure, function and cellular processes that are key to life.
- Explain current models, concepts and principles of genetics and inheritance.
- Explain and apply the underlying concepts of current topics and experimental models in molecular biology and Biotechnology.
- Use industry skills and work practices of the biotechnology industry for direct employment.